[cma-l] Community radio station earns new five-year licence

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Apr 29 12:42:32 BST 2010

Published Date: 29 April 2010 By Michael Cooke, Melton Times

THURSDAY NOON: Melton community radio station 103 The Eye has had its
licence renewed for a further five years by industry regulator Ofcom.

The station, which is run entirely by volunteers, became the first
station of its kind to go on air in November 2005. Some 160 stations
up and down the country are now following in its footsteps.

The news means it can continue broadcasting to a potential audience of
80,000 people in Melton, the Vale of Belvoir and South Nottinghamshire
until at least November 2015.

Director Christine Slomkowska said: "We had to provide evidence of our
community involvement, programming and successful projects as well as
show how many people we have trained.

"Our role is to give people a voice on the air and to link isolated
communities across the rural area we serve and we are thrilled to get
the green light to carry on.

"We are pioneers in community radio, audience surveys have found the
station enjoys a high level of recognition and are proud of what we
have achieved so far.

"It has taken a lot of hard work and I would like to pay tribute to
everyone who helps is many different ways, from presenters and people
behind the scenes to all our supporters and, of course, the
listeners."

103 The Eye works with schools, colleges and community groups, plays
unsigned bands, publicises community and charity events and takes its
sound stage out and about.

It also supports other community stations across three counties and
last year was presented with an award for its contribution to the
community by then Mayor Mal Sheldon.

The station has also been supported by the likes of the Melton Times'
Make It Happen fund with Ragdale Hall, Trumpton and Melton Rotary
Club.

http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/news/Community-radio-station-earns-new.6256373.jp

http://www.103theeye.co.uk/

\\\