[cma-l] 24 reasons why DAB might not make it

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 21:09:12 BST 2010

Here in the north of Scotland even brand new DAB roll-out by the BBC has room for only 6 of the 8 national digital services. The two they choose to omit are the two that are specifically intended for this nation - BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Radio nan Gaidheal. So the 'new' system starts from a base of insufficicient capacity even for existing BBC FM services.

In some urban areas they are able to provide the full complement of channels by renting space on parallel commercial multiplexes, but there are no commercial multiplexes in the north-west, and no sign of any plans for them.

Similarly when we get Digitial TV switchover in a couple of months it will not include BBC Alba! The only way the BBC has suggested making BBC Alba available would be by removing *all* radio services from the digital TV service during BBC Alba hours. Because it would have to do this across the whole country, the BBC Trust has shied away from making a decision about this on the promised date.

Alex