[cma-l] CMA and the election

Somerset Film info at somersetfilm.com
Tue Apr 13 15:15:11 BST 2010

Dear Member and Friends

I've been following the debate on the lists over the past few days, limited
though in my ability to contribute due to being on my bike most of the time!

With the election imminent this is obviously a great moment to be reminding
candidates of the substantial - and growing - importance of community media
and the many benefits it brings.  We need of course to seize this moment and
to make the most of it.  But we need to do this with circumspection, taking
due regard of our existing alliances and strengths and exercising due
caution around the many traps into which we could easily fall.  A few weeks
before a general election is no time to launch a new and potentially
divisive campaign, particularly as it also runs a high risk of inadvertently
aligning us with other agendas which are far from benign.

With regards to the BBC I welcome Trevor's approach - we do need to work the
MOU harder, to "be pro-active, bursting with ideas" - to ally our cause for
more funding to imaginative and constructive project ideas which through
their strength generate enthusiasm and support from our partners. With
Regards to the election I urge all members and supporters to take note of
Bill's recent post in which he offers a template for contacting your local
candidates with a particular focus on marginal seats.

We have a CMA Council meeting this coming weekend in Sheffield and will be
looking closely at our strategy and tactics in these respects. We look
forward to further comments and suggestions before that time.

With best wishes

Phil Shepherd
Chair of Council