[cma-l] Election campaign and the CR Fund

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Mon Apr 12 16:08:51 BST 2010

Dear Jaqui and all

We must surely use the election to press once
again on the issue of funding for community radio.

This is not a question of where the money comes
from - politicians can sort that out if they have
the will, after all the sums needed are small -
rather it is a question of insisting that the
main parties commit to increasing the Community
Radio Fund from its current derisory level to the
levels recommended in the Everitt Report that set
the framework for community radio legislation and
was accepted by government at that time.

This issue won't go away, indeed it was rather
extensively debated during the House of Commons
debate on the Community Radio (Amendment) Order
which took place on 12 January. Below are some excerpts.

Yet it still remains unresolved, with little sign
of serious progress from DCMS.

It is a key question that we must now put to all
candidates and their political parties.

Best wishes

Steve

//
Source:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmgeneral/deleg7/100112/100112s01.htm

Mr. Edward Vaizey (Con): Yes. I noticed that the
community fund is not mentioned in the order in
front of us. When the measure was debated in the
other place, the Minister’s spokesman there
specifically addressed the issue of the community
radio fund and said to our colleagues in the
other place that the Department for Culture,
Media and Sport had written to other Departments,
seeking contributions to the fund. Given that
that debate took place on 15 December 2009, now
would be a good opportunity for the Minister to
bring us news hot off the press on his success in
discussing the issue with the Department for
Communities and Local Government, the Home
Office, the Department for Children, Schools and
Families, the Department of Health or any other
Department where he thought there might be money
down the back of the sofa that can be put into
the community radio fund. As many hon. Members
know, many community radio stations operate at a
deficit, with an average income of just £80,000,
which is dropping drastically.

Mr. Adrian Sanders (Lib Dem): The issue of
funding for local community radio continues is of
paramount importance. The community radio fund
continues to be a large source of finance for
community stations. The fund has seen increasing
spending commitments in recent years, allowing
the expansion from 14 stations to more than 200.
Of course, we know that there are many hundreds
more in the pipeline that have yet to be assessed
and granted licences. The Government are
supporting, in principle, the community radio
sector, and the changes in regulations that we
see today are evidence of that, but will the
Minister address the central issue of funding, as
referred to earlier? All the support and positive
regulations will pale into insignificance if that question goes unaddressed.

Mr. Sion Simon (Lab): What my noble Friend in the
other place said was that I would be writing to
other Departments. He was referring to meetings
that I have had with community radio
organisations and local commercial radio
organisations, and to undertakings that I have
given directly to the CMA that I will engage­and
am engaging­across Government to try to persuade
Ministers in other Departments to free what would
often be, for them, very small amounts of money
relative to their budget. That could deliver good
outcomes for them on their targets in relation to
social cohesion, training and so on. That process
is under way and ongoing, and I am committed to
it. It was never intended for community radio to
be directly funded by the Government or entirely
publicly funded. The £500,000 from DCMS, along
with several millions of pounds from other parts
of Government, is part of the mix, as are the
liberalising measures. It is a thriving and
successful sector: there are now up to 200 licences and 150 operators.
[...] I can assure him again of my earnest
intention to continue to work with colleagues in
the rest of Government to try to get that figure
increased, because I am clear, as are many hon.
Members here this afternoon, about the importance
of community radio and the value that it delivers to our community.