[cma-l] election

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Mon Apr 12 11:10:30 BST 2010

On 9 April 2010 21:53, Joanne Schofield <joanne at bcfm.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi

Hi Joanne

> I may have missed it, but has the CMA published or sent to it's members the
> regulations/law about broadcasting in respect to politics in the run up to a
> general election.

Yes, last Tuesday:

http://mailman.commedia.org.uk/pipermail/cma-l/2010-April/005427.html

> I know every community radio station should know the law,
> but it is worth sending out guidelines to remind people.

Here's another reminder.

During election periods special impartiality rules apply to
broadcasting. They are set out in Section Six of Ofcom’s Broadcasting
Code which can be accessed via the following link:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes/bcode/elections/

Ofcom also provides Guidance Notes to explain the requirements:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guidance/bguidance/guidance6.pdf

At all times there are rules which apply to broadcasters concerning
‘due impartiality’ and ‘due accuracy’ and ‘undue prominence of views
and opinions on matters of political or industrial controversy and
matters relating to current public policy’. These rules are included
in Section Five of the Broadcasting Code available via this link:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes/bcode/undue/

Guidance Notes to help explain the Section Five requirements may be found at:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guidance/bguidance/guidance5.pdf

> ........just a thought.

Many thanks :o)

> Joanne