[cma-l] The Future of FM in the UK

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 09:44:13 BST 2010

Alan

I have to strongly disagree with you, both from personal involvement and from reading and listening to what comes from HMG, Ofcom, from the Industry as a whole and from the CMA.

The Press has got hold of these terms "digital switchover" and "analogue switchoff" which are both, typically, nonense in a true technological sense.

I won't bore you all again with the reasoning.

The important points are that HMG has said that small local and community stations will remain on FM because the present administrative structure makes it financially impossible to migrate to "digital" and the widespread feeling in the Industry is that DAB as the existing delivery platform with the spectrum currently in use simply isn't broad or comprehensive enough to take them all on and leave enough bitrate for every station to sound acceptable to the listener.

Added to that, there is no potential commercial demand or usage for the 20 MHz of spectrum which would be released and it would leave the UK in a position of having abandoned a platform which all other developed countries will still be using.

So - FM will not be "swtched off" and there will be no "digital swichover".

Major broadcasters will, at some time in the distant future and over many months, experience a "migration to digital", but to what format no-one knows at the moment despite lots of us putting forward our hopes - and fears!

Ian Hickling

Partner

transplan UK