[cma-l] The Radio Academy Nations and Regions Awards 2009

Richard Hilton Richard.Hilton at bitc.org.uk
Mon Sep 21 10:52:57 BST 2009

I'd regard paying £23 as a bit of an irritant but nothing more.  The Radio Academy may be a 'not for profit organization' but they still have to make a surplus or else they will go under.

I find it much more annoying that want an hour of recording from 8am.  This is a time that commercial radio concentrates on but is of far less importance to community radio.  Indeed some community radio stations run a sustaining service at this time.

However, you also have to submit another CD of a recording of your 'best of' material and a summary of the station and it is in these 2 areas that community radio can really shine.  Last year I did some judging and I personally found the written entries from the commercial radio stations to be very unexciting and any half decent community should be able run circles round them.

If you enter then it will take a bit of work (and £23.00!) but if you get shortlisted or even win an award imagine how good it will look and how your staff and volunteers will feel.

I'd strongly encourage all community radio stations to seriously consider entering.

Regards

Richard