[cma-l] News release from Sheffield Live! on Minister's letter

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Thu Sep 17 15:22:36 BST 2009

PRESS RELEASE: 17-09-09

Government pledges to find new funds for community radio

The Government is to seek additional funds to
support community radio, according to Siôn Simon
MP, Minister for Creative Industries. The
Minister’s comments come in response to a joint
letter to the Prime Minister signed by community
broadcasters in Sheffield and across the country,
calling for a sizeable increase in public funding for community radio.

In the Government reply to the joint open letter,
Siôn Simon writes: “the Government recognises the
importance of community radio and its
contribution to the communities which they
serve”. In addition to current Government
support, he says: “DCMS will continue to work
with other Government Departments and Agencies to
identify other sources of funding, specifically
where there are community cohesion and social
gain objectives, for community radio.”

Steve Buckley, Director of community radio
station, Sheffield Live!, said: "We welcome
Government recognition that additional funding
should be found for community radio but we need
more than a vague expression of intent.  We are
not asking for the sector to be fully, or even
majority, publicly funded. All we want is for
Government support to be reflected in a funding
settlement that reflects the benefits community
radio brings to the communities we serve.
Government should implement now the recommendations of the Everitt Report.”

Professor Anthony Everitt, author of the 2003
report, New Voices, whose recommendations formed
the basis for government legislation, says the
sector is “hobbled by its poverty”, and has
called on government to implement the
recommendations of his report to provide
(matched) grant aid of £30,000 per year per
station towards core operating costs. Everitt
says “this is a modest expenditure when the
benefits community radio can confer are taken into account”.

The community radio campaign has gained the
support of members of Parliament from all
political parties. Lord David Puttnam assured the
community radio sector:  “...the weight of public
support and technological history are with you.”
A petition, at
<http://allthevoices.org/>http://allthevoices.org,
calling on the Government to support the
sustainability and growth of community radio by
substantially increasing the resources of the
Community Radio Fund, has gathered nearly 3000 signatures.

-ends-

For further information contact:

Steve Buckley
Office:  0114 220 1426; Mobile:  07801 945037
sbuckley at gn.apc.org

Notes:

1. Copies of the letter from Siôn Simon MP,
Minister for Creative Industries and the joint
open letter to the Prime Minister, are online at
<http://www.sheffieldlive.org/lettertogordonbrown>http://www.sheffieldlive.org/lettertogordonbrown
2. The petition to the Prime Minister is
available at
<http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/allthevoices/>http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/allthevoices/
3. The government has published (on 16 July 2009)
a consultation paper on plans to ringfence 3.5%
of the television licence fee to fund local and
regional news and other essential public service
content priorities. This consultation closes 22 September 2009.
4. The Communications Act 2003 provides, in
Section 359, for a Community Radio Fund. In a
regulatory impact assessment paper at the time
the government estimated this would not cost more
than £3-4 million per annum. It commenced in
2005/06 at a level of £500,000 and has not been
increased since. The number of community radio
licences has grown from 14 to over 200.

Support Community Radio!
      Sign The Petition!
   http://allthevoices.org