[cma-l] copyright on the spoken word

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Oct 21 12:25:59 BST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: "Robert Kirkwood" <Robert.Kirkwood at insightradio.co.uk>

HI,

I work on a show called Talking Books at Insight Radio so have a bit of
experience with broadcasting the spoken word.

I’m assuming your presenters and participants in the show will be reading
the work themselves and not using clips from audio books or anything
similar. If that’s the case, it’s a lot simpler than music copyright; in
fact it’s akin to just dealing with the lyrics of a song, not the musicians
or performers.

If you’re just reading passages from written works that are less than one or
two minutes I’d term that as ‘fair use’ and as long as the writer and
publisher are credited you should be fine without approaching anyone. If you
want to use anything longer, or perhaps a complete poem from beginning to
end, I’d approach the author themselves via an agent or publisher just to
make sure, but to be honest, I’ve never come across anyone who has refused
me. It’s a great advert for their book after all.

It may be that the work you are reading from has no remaining copyright,
something like Dracula or Frankenstein could be read from beginning to end …
a general rule of thumb is 70 years after the death of the author, although
this could go down to 50 years depending on when they died. The Project
Gutenberg website lists books out of copyright in the US and is a fairly
good guide for the UK situation.

*Cheers,*

*Robert*

*....................................**
**Robert Kirkwood**
**Broadcast Producer** *

* <http://www.insightradio.co.uk/>
Tel: 0141 3573518 ext. 28
Fax: 0141 3345530
Email: robert.kirkwood at insightradio.co.uk
Address: **17 Gullane St**, Partick, **Glasgow**, **G11 6AH*

*--*

*DISCLAIMER:*

* *

*NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is
confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient
you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or
of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of
your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from
your system.  Insight Radio endeavours to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other
contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any such
which are transmitted.  We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any
attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Insight Radio.*

* *

*RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227*