[cma-l] Radio project for Africa

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue May 19 10:35:14 BST 2009

Hi

Many thanks for your email - please see below.

2009/5/19  <dmldecker at aol.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Are there people out there with a genuine interest in the development of
> Africa, particularly of grassroots communities, who will be willing  to
> join me set up, and run a radio project for Africa?
>
> Nii.

I recently sent something about this sort of project to the CRT
Toolkit so I shall repost here.

There is a Community Radio Start-Up Information Guide here that was published
last year with a special emphasis on developing community radio in Africa:

http://www.farmradio.org/english/partners/resources/community-radio-start-up-guide_e.pdf

Unfortunately it might be a little out-of-date as they do mention Oneworld
Radio as a contact for funding but - their website address no longer appears
to be active:

http://radio.oneworld.net

There might be funding available for projects in Africa from DFID, the UK's
Department for International Development:

http://www.dfid.gov.uk/funding/

AMARC Africa might possibly be a good signpost to funds and contacts
and they can be
reached here:

http://africa.amarc.org/

Lastly RadioActive provides equipment, training and technical assistance for
community radio worldwide:

http://www.radioactive.org.uk/

Unfortunately that's not much information to go on but hopefully it will help
you make a start.

Best regards

Bill
--