[cma-l] Local Music Policy

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Tue May 12 16:07:14 BST 2009

Hi Nikki

At Utopia we introduced a local music pledge to our daytime music
policy a few years ago, in preparation for our fulltime launch later
this year. It is made easier because our daytime music output is
playlisted (using Autotrack) and all we had to do was to add 1 track
per hour, with more in the evenings vis local music shows when we have
someone willing to make one(!)  Adding local music is a really easy
way to add local content and is something local radio should do.

For me this is a total no-brainer. Local commercial radio rarely
supports local music, BBC LR won't in regular programmes yet there is
a market for it - witness the numbers of followers bands have via
myspace etc. As a Community station you can not only support local
music/culture but easily offer a key musical point of difference that
you can sell and use to draw people into the station who may not
otherwise have come. If you has the resources to do it, you could
offer bands the chance to add downloads to your website and share
revenue with them (sure to be some examples out there of this - start
with amazingtunes.com)

we've also organised local gigs, which we broadcast live or recorded.
Again, these are good profile events which benefit both bands,
audience and the station. They are not easy to organise but there may
well be people in the community who know what to do and will be
willing to help you out.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts

rich

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio Studies
Admissions Tutor
Programme Leader: FdA Community Radio & BA Radio
The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peters Campus
Sunderland, SR6 0DD
Tel: 0191 515 2239
Skype & Twitter: richardberryuk
Web: www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio
Tags: www.delicious.com/richardberry
Blog:myblogs.sunderland.ac.uk/blogs/radio/