[cma-l] News sources - what are you doing?

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 11:45:20 GMT 2009

Obviously any community stations broadcasting local news as part of its
format should be producing their own news in the area, but there is still a
need for 'national' news, typically on the hour every hour for many
stations.

Here in the north-west Highlands we use Smooth Radio Glasgow as our
sustaining service and national news provider. It has been a real winner in
comparison to previous use of IRN or other London-based stations. Although
Glasgow is 5 hours drive south of us, so not exactly local, the Scotland-led
nature of their hourly news bulletins has gone down really well with our
listeners in comparison to what we had before.

The main downside is that Smooth Glasgow is not really usable for insertion
into local automation because they don't time the bulletins at all
accurately - they can start anything form on time to up to 90s late, so
really need manual continuity. Also sometimes they extend bulletins with
showbiz news (at which point we cut away!).

We also have the BBC's consent to use their regional news bulletins if we
want, but Ofcom gave that idea a very cool reception, and it has other
drawbacks in terms of timing and duration.

In addition to the national news from Glasgow, we produce our own local
daily bulletins in peak hours (breakfast/drivetime).

Alex
Two Lochs Radio