[cma-l] Australia: Community Radio short-changed in digital switchover (or leftover?)

Salvatore Scifo salvatore.scifo at communitymedia.eu
Sun Mar 1 11:35:09 GMT 2009

----Apologies for cross-posting----

Dear All,
attached below information and a link to a podcast of 2SER on the issues
emerging with the digital switchover in Australia and its consequences
on Sydney's community radio stations.
Don't know if anyone has used it before, but I find the use of 'digital
leftover' very appropriate in this case...

Thanks to Marko Ala-Fossi at the University of Tampere for providing
this link!

Best Wishes and a good Sunday to you all,
Salvo

Source:
http://2ser.podomatic.com/entry/eg/2009-02-28T04_37_38-08_00

With digital radio landing in cities across Australia in May this year,
it seems the future is at our fingertips.The new technology offers
pictures and text, and pause and rewind options, as well as many other
possibilities.But the community sector has been given less than a third
of the broadcasting space allowed to commercial and national radio
stations, meaning the advantages of the digital age could be almost
non-existent. Now Sydney's community stations must figure out the best
way to make use of the digital leftovers.

Podcast link:
http://2ser.podomatic.com/enclosure/2009-02-28T04_37_38-08_00.mp3

Salvatore Scifo
Editor, communitymedia.eu
connecting research>teaching>policy>practice in community media in Europe