[cma-l] Digital Britain - HoC exchanges from Hansard:

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jun 17 12:23:25 BST 2009

Jeremy Hunt, Shadow SoS for Culture, Media and Sport, Culture, Media &
Sport;
South West Surrey, Conservative)

I thank the Secretary of State for giving me prior notice both of the
report and of his statement, and I congratulate him on
giving his first statement to the House in his new role. With Lord
Carter's surprising and rather hasty departure from the Government, it
is now the Secretary of State, less than a fortnight into the job, who
must pick up the baton in an immensely complex but vital area for the
economy. I therefore hope that he recognises that I do not mean it
personally when I say that today's report is a colossal disappointment.

The introduction, on page 3, says that the report seeks to achieve seven
things. So what are they? The first is an "analysis", as is the second;
the third is a "statement of ambition"; the fourth is a "restatement" of
need; the fifth is an "analysis"; the sixth is a "framework"; and the
seventh is a "review". Where in all of that is a single action?

There is one area in which the report has excelled itself, and that is
consultation. The interim report published in January announced eight
consultations, and this one announces 12, plus one new quango. That is
surely government of the management consultants for the management
consultants by the management consultants.
Britain has huge competitive strengths in the digital industries,
particularly in the production of digital content, but to embrace these
opportunities we need a proper digital infrastructure. Will the
Secretary of State explain why, when America, France and Japan are
laying fibre optic cable to thousands of homes, Britain's operators have
barely started to think about it? Why have the French Government been
able to create competition between internet service providers to lay
fibre in France Telecom's ducts while the British Government have stood
by as BT makes minimal investment, protected by a monopoly over the
local loop?

Today's solution, according to the Government, is a broadband tax, but
rather than taxing, should the Secretary of State
not be seeking to stimulate investment through the regulatory structure?
The cable revolution happened without a cable tax; the satellite
revolution happened without a satellite tax. Everyone recognises that
some public investment might be necessary to reach the more remote parts
of the country, but simply slapping on an extra tax is an old-economy
solution to a new-economy problem. Unfortunately, the numbers do not add
up either. The tax will apparently raise about £150 million per annum.
Will the Secretary of State confirm that at that rate it will take 20
years to cover the estimated £3 billion cost of the broadband roll-out?

There are some things that we welcome. We welcome the decision on DAB.
We welcome the moves to tackle
piracy. However, having heard promises to tackle that problem four times
in four years, we have today been promised only a consultation. Will the
Secretary of State make a commitment that any required legislation will
be laid before the House before the next election, so that it can be
sorted out once and for all? We also support the roll-out of a universal
2 megabits broadband connection by 2012, probably the single most
important practical outcome of today's
statement. That is all supposed to be funded by the money not used for
digital switchover, but given that only 5 per cent. of transmitters have
switched over, none of which covers a major urban area, will the
Secretary of State tell us what will
happen if costs are higher when the other 95 per cent. of transmitters
are switched over?

Let me turn to regional news. Does the Secretary of State accept that
the traditional model for regional news, based on the old ITV
transmitter regions, has failed, and that what people really want is not
regional news but local news? Why does Birmingham, Alabama have eight
local TV stations when Birmingham in the UK, four times its size, has
none? Why is the Secretary of State using the public's money to prop up
a failed system when people in his Exeter constituency have to watch the
news from Plymouth, and people in my constituency in Surrey have to
watch news from Southampton? In America, much smaller cities have not
just one but a whole clutch of local news channels, greatly enhancing a
sense of community and vibrant local democracy. None has access to a
licence fee. Instead of putting yet more of a burden on taxpayers, why
are the Government not embracing a digital era version of syndicated
local TV, something that could also be a lifeline to our local newspaper
industry?

On the licence fee, this afternoon's statement shows breathtaking
inconsistency on the part of the Government. Less than a month ago, the
Secretary of State's predecessor insisted at the Dispatch Box that the
BBC needed an inflation-busting £68 million per annum rise in the
licence fee to fulfil its core purposes. So, why is the Secretary of
State saying today that it has a spare £100 million a year to give to
other broadcasters? If that money really is spare, should we not first
consider giving it back to licence fee payers, which is what nearly
three quarters of them have said that they want?  There are some bright
spots in the report, but overall it does not feel like an agenda for a
new digital economy. It reads more like a top-down attempt to protect
and prop up old business models using yet more public
cash. The Conservative Government deregulated telecoms and launched
Channels 4 and 5. They unleashed the cable and satellite revolution.
Instead of digital dithering from a dated Government, we need
new-economy dynamism from a new Conservative Government.

Ben Bradshaw:

I am glad that the hon. Gentleman mentioned the role that Lord Carter of
Barnes has played in this report, because I omitted to thank and commend
Lord Barnes on his excellent piece of work.  Contrary to what the hon.
Gentleman said, the report contains some 78 action points. In the main,
we are consulting only on matters that require primary legislation, and
I hope that hon. Members on all sides will think that that is generally
good practice. However, we are
consulting on one thing that does not require primary legislation, and
that is the idea of sharing some of the BBC's
  licence fee. I acknowledge that we have decided to do that, because it
is quite a big move of principle?but
if the hon. Gentleman does not think that we need to consult on it, he
can just send me a letter saying that he agrees with the proposal. That
would be very helpful indeed.  The hon. Gentleman implied that there was
no need for public investment in the next generation of broadband
roll-out. I appreciate that he has not had time to read all 250-odd
pages of the report yet, but when he looks at it more closely he will
see that virtually every other country in the world is using public
funds to help ensure the provision of good-quality next generation
broadband. Australia is using £22 billion
sterling of taxpayers' money to that end. By no means are we saying that
the amount of money that we intend to use from the digital underspend
and the levy on fixed lines will be sufficient in itself, but we do
believe that it will be enough to pump-prime as the market would not
otherwise do, that is, to complete the final third of provision for homes
and businesses. That final stage of provision will cover many people in
the rural constituencies of Opposition
Members.

The hon. Gentleman asked about the timing of legislation. As he will
appreciate, I am not going to comment on the next Session in Parliament:
suffice it to say that this Government have made it clear that the
digital revolution is one of our main priorities. As I said in my
statement, it is a major part of our industrial strategy. He was wrong
to say that not one urban area in the country has so far enjoyed digital
switchover, because Exeter has.  My constituents would be very offended
if their city were to be described as anything other than a major urban
centre. Exeter recently became the first
digital city in the country, and very successful the switchover was too.
  Contrary to what the hon. Gentleman says, we anticipate that the rest
of the digital switchover will go very smoothly. We are confident about
that. We think that we are likely to be able to make the savings from
the underspend that we have projected, and in fact believe that that may
even be a conservative estimate.  The hon. Gentleman also said that we
are ignoring local news in favour
of regional news. Far from it: the m odel that I have just outlined
would enable exactly the sort of local news provision that he described,
and not just by the independent television providers who will be invited
to bid for this new pot of money. The introduction of digital radio will
free up radio spectrum for local and community radio stations, which
will be able to provide exactly the sort of very local news and content
that he advocates.  The hon. Gentleman said that instead of spending the
digital underspend on the vital protection of the public service content
of news in the
nations and the regions, he would rather give the 75p a week back to the
licence fee payer. All the way through his response, however, where he
agreed with us about outcomes, he was prepared to will the ends but not
the means.

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities