[cma-l] DRM+ successfully trialled in Paris

Marilyn Hyndman marilyn at northernvisions.org
Tue Jun 16 13:22:20 BST 2009

Ian,
That is a fair comment though to be frank we are never done proposing
ideas and answering various consultations and reviews ....
broadcasters could input Ofcom's current deliberations on local media
and/or be proactive in agreeing among themselves a UK plan for
community/local radio and television, community media and media
literacy and present it to the regulator and DCMS.
What happened in the past does not necessarily have to rule all of our
futures.
Marilyn

On 16 Jun 2009, at 13:11, Ian Hickling wrote:

> Alan - I think that's an unfair judgement.
>
> As I remember it, the BBC made all the running for DAB way before
> Ofcom
> was in place and the CRCA-backed the concept as well and effectively
> insisted on the present "Owned Multiplex" structure.
>
> Ofcom after all is a Regulator - not an Instigator.
>
> I am sure that the important people at Ofcom - classify them how you
> wish - agree that the present system has no future, but I suggest that
> it's up to Broadcasters to propose what happens - not the Regulator!
>
> Ian Hickling
> Partner
> transplan UK
>
>> From: alan.coote at btinternet.com
>> To: cma-l at commedia.org.uk; comradio-l at commedia.org.uk
>> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 01:33:18 +0100
>> Subject: Re: [cma-l] [comradio-l] Fw: DRM+ successfully trialled in
>> Paris
>>
>> Let's hope that Ofcom finally realises that DAB is NOT a viable
>> platform. A fact which has been obvious to many for years.
>> Unfortunately Ofcom have encouraged the radio industry at large
>> into a
>> technical cul-de-sac, from which it's difficult to get out.
>>
>> Let's hope someone in Ofcom has got the, proverbial, to admit that
>> there are much better digital solutions for the radio industry.
>>
>> Somehow I doubt it though.
>>
>> Alan

Marilyn Hyndman
Northern Visions/NvTv
23 Donegall Street
Belfast
BT1 2FF

Tel: 028 9024 5495 ext 207
Fax: 028 9032 6608

NvTv
Belfast Community Television
Free-to-Air on Channel 62/Freq:799.276MHz
Live on line: www.nvtv.co.uk

www.northernvisions.org