[cma-l] Community Radio and Digital Switchover

Clive Glover clive.glover at lineone.net
Thu Jul 23 13:12:40 BST 2009

I noted that OFCOM have not actually defined "ultra-local" services
and I assumed they really meant pirate broadcasters who they would
just let rip in the "digital future" on the old-fashioned analogue
systems!

More seriously, we need to ensure that all radio sets in future
continue to have both FM and "digital" facilities (including DAB+ and
maybe DRM and DRM+ and whatever else turns up in future). It is those
of us consumers (9 million of us!) with mere DAB as our "digital"
facility that will lose out as DAB+ is clearly going to be the
mainstream system across Europe and sooner or later the UK
broadcasters will have to adopt it.  OFCOM previously argued for a
"universal" radio that would find any local radio services and put
them into an electronic programme guide so that local FM based
Community stations would not lose out - we should push for that too.

But the market reality is that the major "digital" format is streaming
over the Internet and most Community Radio stations are already doing
this so are on the same "level playing field" as the big commercial
stations and the BBC. Companies in the US and Canada are already
developing in car Internet radio systems and this is bound to happen
within a few years. Internet access in cars will also provide satnav
replacement services, traffic and weather services and so on and so
will be a huge market for which companies will be fighting.

Don't panic!

Clive Glover