[cma-l] Tories call for 81 local TV stations

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 16 11:33:36 BST 2009

Oh dear!

I do wish that when something like this is released to the Industry - and indeed to the public at large - that the account be re-written in accurate English as opposed to glib uninformed media-speak.

1 - There will not be a ".....switch-over from the analogue television signal to digital.....".

The terrestrial digital service will be completed and the analogue service will cease.

There is no magic "Switchover"

2 - Ofcom will not ".....be able to create 81 new local television channels at little cost....."

Ofcom will be able to release spectrum vacated by present analouge services which can be made available for 81 possible local television services.

3 - Having announced the coming availability of channels, it's then confusing to the reader to write that "....the channels themselves can be manned and run by volunteers.....".

People don't man and run television channels. Local stations using the newly-available channels can be manned and run by volunteers.

4 - And in English, it's "compared with" - not "compared to"!

Ian Hickling

transplan UK