[cma-l] Portable Recorders

Ken Hall k.hallhome at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 5 16:51:58 GMT 2009

David

My experience of all kinds of recorders is that generally to record in
stereo on a recorder that has two inputs (left & right) requires two
connectors, one plugged into each socket.  If your mic is stereo it will
need a splitter lead that splits the single 3 pin (unbalanced) XLR plug
into two x 3pin (unbalanced) XLR sockets.  My Audiotechnica AT 822
stereo mic came complete with such a lead.  They are also available from
CPC Electronics (www.CPC.co.uk), no account needed.  If you are using a
mono mic the recorder should be switchable to record a dual mono signal
if using the left input socket. Alternatively use the splitter lead
described earlier but be sure to check whether the mic is balanced or
unbalanced because the wiring of the connectors will vary accordingly.

Hope this helps

Ken Hall
Real to Real productions.
Hillside studios