[cma-l] [comradio-l] Community Radio & the Sony Radio AcademyAwards

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 11:56:48 GMT 2009

The 'volunter produced' would work for us and most of the other six
Highlands & Islands community-based stations, but the single 25 Watt
transmitter definitely would not!

Although presented mostly by volunteers, our community-based, not-for-profit
stations are all full commercial licence holders because we all fought for
and gained licences prior to the Community Radio licence as such coming into
being, and because of the terrain we mostly have multiple transmitters. The
smaller stations also tend to be less well funded than even the smallest
Community Radio licensees, but we have no access to the present CR fund,
although we are CMA members.

Also, new actual CR licensees in the Highlands are liable to be granted more
than 25W because of the terrain. We cover a population equivalent  no more
than a couple of residential streets in London, but spread over an area of
some 400 sq km!

There are also four community broadcasters who broadcast a few hours a day
by opt-outs on the local relay transmitter of their respective commercial
ILR stations.

What about "not-for-profit, community-based radio stations"? That should
admit all those who are in spirit and constitution community broadcasters,
without including commercial for-profit stations.

Another term that is bandied about is "the Third Tier" of radio. This could
be used, but in whatever case I guess it would be important to include in
the small print a full definition of the stations intended to be in the
scope of this.

Alex
Two Lochs Radio