[cma-l] Borehamwood FM - a new radio station for Borehamwood

Olly Benson ollybenson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 7 08:38:00 GMT 2009

As reported in yesterday's Borehamwood News:
http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/localnews/4107426.Stay_tuned_for_Borehamwood_FM/

New radio station planned for Borehamwood

Borehamwood residents can get ready for a completely new sound in
their ears, as a project is launched to bring a brand new radio
station to the town.

The aptly titled Borehamwood FM would be the town's first dedicated
radio station. It will broadcast as a community station – and involve
local people in presenting and running the station.

The idea of the station already has the support of local
organisations, including Elstree Studios, Oaklands College, and
Hertsmere Leisure.

"Elstree Studios in Borehamwood has long been one of the leading film
and television production centres in the UK, with top TV shows and
major feature films. A local radio station for Borehamwood is a great
idea, and it's at a time when radio has never been so popular."  says
Roger Morris, MD of Elstree Studios.

Local councillor, Darren Solomons, said: "A radio station is exactly
what somewhere like Borehamwood needs. It'll bring the community
together and provide an excellent way for people to learn new skills,
as well as provide great entertainment for the town."

The project is being initiated by resident Oliver Benson. He said:
"Borehamwood is one of those places that falls outside all the
traditional media coverage areas – just outside London and not covered
by the capital's media but equally not far enough into Hertfordshire.
Setting up a station exclusively for Borehamwood means that we can
ensure our news, issues, sport and events are properly covered."

"Setting up a radio station is a huge task, so we're not yet ready to
recruit DJs and presenters," says Oliver.  "What we really need now is
a team of people to help the station get to the stage where it can go
live, so we really need people interested in project management,
fundraising, networking and moving the idea forward."

Ofcom, who issue radio licences, created special licences for
community radio groups in 2003. Since then, 250 organisations have
been granted a licence. If the station is successful in getting a
licence, it will be able to broadcast full-time across the town.

More details, including how to get involved, are available on the
project's website: www.borehamwood.fm.

--
Employ me: http://www.olib.co.uk/cv.html