[cma-l] Community Radio Fund - Lords debate 15/12/09

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Wed Dec 16 17:13:45 GMT 2009

The House of Lords debated and approved the
Community Radio (Amendment) Order 2010 yesterday.
Among matters raised was the need to increase the
Community Radio Fund. Excerpts here:

Lord Clement-Jones (Lib Dem)
"The issue of funding for local community radio
in this context is very important. I can see the
Government's motives in wanting to allow
single-source funding up to a greater figure-75
per cent, I think-but one of the key sources of
funding has been the community radio fund. That
started off, rather disappointingly, at £500,000;
since then, the spending commitments of that fund
have increased massively from something like 14
stations to over 200, as we heard today. If the
Government are changing regulations and wishing
the community radio industry well, I hope that at
the same time they will give some indication that
the funding for community radio will be improved.
It is all very well to wish community radio well
and say what an important part of the
broadcasting landscape it is but, without willing
some additional resource to it, it will be
difficult, particularly in the current climate, for it to sustain itself."

Lord Faulkner of Worcester (Labour)
"The noble Lord, Lord Clement-Jones, referred to
the funding of community radio through the
community radio fund. He raises a good point. The
availability of funding is committed until
2010-11. Decisions beyond 2011 have still to be
taken but the Government have been working
closely with Ofcom and the community radio sector
to ensure that we make the best use of the
funding that is available by promoting best
practice and employing fund raisers. In addition,
the Minister for Creative Industries has met
representatives of the community radio sector to
discuss the future of the community radio fund.
He has agreed to write to other government
departments to highlight the benefits of
community radio in delivering wider government
objectives and to seek a financial contribution from them to the fund."

Full debate at:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200910/ldhansrd/text/91215-gc0003.htm
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200910/ldhansrd/text/91215-gc0004.htm