[cma-l] Pressure

Trevor Lockwood trevor at felixstoweradio.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 14:21:13 GMT 2009

We must all be very aware that we will be subjected to many new pressures.

Commercial media, in all its forms, is in jeopardy, although the
Australian is now in bed with Mr Cameron who has already said that Ofcom
will change, perhaps disappear, and more control of access to new will
result.

That should be an opportunity for us, as we can garner local news, and
Google and many others will provide the rest. Such an approach will
leave the Australian sitting up his gum tree.

At the same time we should be actively campaigning for a portion of the
licence fee - we are media stations - so that campaign should be part of
our everyday schedules. We need to shout about the unfairness of the
situation now - and keep doing it. Every MP, local councillor, and all
our listeners must be made aware of the disparity: the BBC wallow in
luxury, whilst we stand on street corners with a begging bowl that's too
small. It needs to change.

Community media is no longer an inconsequential local matter, playing
items not carried elsewhere - we are a power to be reckoned with because
we are so close to the public, to real people.

An election looms, so each parliamentary candidate must be asked where
they stand on licence fee allocation. Each party must be asked to make
it part of their manifesto.

Unless we take a public stance then CR001 will just be the start of
stagnation, that will destroy us all.

This needs to be a national campaign. This is no time to be parochial.

Trevor Lockwood
Chairman

01394 282123
www.felixstoweradio.co.uk
107.5 FM
Felixstowe Radio Community Interest Company
Registered Number 6419058
3 Great Eastern Square, Felixstowe IP11 7DY