[cma-l] Community radio recognised in the South of England

Forest FM vwradio at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 13:57:43 GMT 2009

Thought I would share this press with everybody. Recognition for community radio in Dorset !

We must be doing something right !

Regards

Steve Saville - Station Manager - Forest FM

Verwood’s community radio station Forest FM have been declared 'Runners Up' and have received a ‘highly commended’ citation from the Radio Academy Southern branch for the ‘Station of the Year’ awards in the South.

The Nations and Regions Awards - a series of regional events designed to honour radio stations broadcasting to a population of 300,000 or under - are a prestigious recognition of the vital role that independent radio plays in the UK. Forest FM was one of three stations nominated across the south of England and was up against Isle Of Wight Radio and Andover Sound. Station manager Steve Saville said "We had to submit a 30 minute compilation of clips from our output - and then supply a one hour segment "as broadcast", with the output time chosen randomly by the Academy".

The ceremony - held at Bournemouth University on December 1st - was hosted by Professor Sean Street, director of The Centre for Broadcasting History Research, together with veteran regional radio presenter, Matt Hopper. Professor Street noted that "For the first time - we've added an extra award, a Highly Commended citation for a station that represents all that's good about truly local radio".
 Forest FM was praised for its wide variety of music output, it's local focus and its championing of the community it serves. Receiving the Award, Steve Saville commented "As a community station up against larger commercial broadcasters, we were just delighted to be nominated and thrilled to be considered ! But to be officially recognised - that's something really special. It’s all thanks to our 40 or so local volunteers."

  Commercial station Andover Sound took the well deserved top prize and will be automatically entered for the national Sony award

Company registration: 04937308
Telephone: Office 01202 820003 Studio 01202 820006
Website: www.forestfm.co.uk