[cma-l] Offensive Lyrics - Can of Worms!

ROBERT TYLER bobtyler at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 17 17:14:32 BST 2009

This is an important genre of music and is not limited by class, race or
sex. In many ways it defines a community, similar to say Country music, in which
the lyrics often reflect a way of life or a struggling life in general.

The majority of music does have a story to tell with many of the lyrics structured
on rhyme and metaphors. The UK scene is probably
the most vibrant with now successful acts such a Dizzee Rascal, NDubz, Tinchy Strider
and Lady Sovereign reaching mainstream status.

UK Urban is very grass root and I would estimate that even around Salford
there being many aspiring artists with their own recordings/mixtapes with potentially
hundreds across Greater Manchester - so a good example of a local programme.

I have worked in this sector for five years often overseeing the editing
of lyrics for relevant Broadcasting Codes and to create suitable radio versions
and my advice would be as follows:

Never trust ANY copy of a CD
sent. Always check regardless however it is labelled.

Always ask for lyrics (particularly
with unsigned material) if not try an Internet search for lyrics.

Check lyrics against audio.

Make simple edits by single
word reversals done with basic editing software – however bear in mind the
number required and the sustainability or continuity. Will the song make sense
after too much editing?

If an artist does not want to
supply lyrics or offer to edit a version tell them where to go. If they want to
be on your station they have to learn the requirements.

Don’t mess about recording,
do it live to capture the atmosphere.

Offensive lyrics

This is always in constant evolution when new interpretations come into
use everyday and Ofcom should do more research, since the last was published 3
or 4 years ago. However it is all down to context and the time of day (who the
audience might be). It is also listener expectations as well, so a programme
should have an edge. You have to remember there is probably not a single Hip
Hop tune that you can play on air that is not on Utube or on the web somewhere
in its full version.

A lot of my work was to recommend changes to some of the unnecessary
violence references and the glorification of drugs. This is where the written
lyrics are important. Sometimes an artist is saying that making music is better
than selling drugs or that they used to do drugs but music has saved them.
These are positive messages. Lyrics supporting the carrying of knives or guns
to ‘protect their hood’ are negative messages and are not acceptable.

During my time dealing with UK artists I have to
say that many youngsters felt it was cool to use negative lyrics but attitudes
are different now, especially if it means their recording never reaching legitimate
broadcasting.

Overall urban music is in the domain of the very young. To objectively look
at the genre from a broadcaster’s point of view, you have to spend a little
time putting yourself into the position of the artist. Basically they sing
about what they see, their day to day life, need I say more. This is grass
roots culture and lifestyle that should be represented at a community media
level. Offer a platform and encouragement to local artists, be brave try a
regular show and see how quickly it can become a cult through word of mouth.

Hope this helps.