[cma-l] Offensive Lyrics - Can of Worms!

Stevensuttie at aol.com Stevensuttie at aol.com
Mon Aug 17 12:43:17 BST 2009

Hey its great that such a debate has been inspired by this query.

I am very keen to give the volunteer a slot on the radio playing the  music
that he and his contempories enjoy. Its not my cup of tea at all - but if
Salford City Radio only broadcast the things that I personally like and
understand - it would be a rather dull radio station that did very little to
satisfy its key commitments or engage with local people - thus pointless.

The slot I have in mind is a pre-record at 11pm on a Sunday night, and not
ALL songs will contain lyrics "which some may find offensive" but my
initial  question was - what do you guys do? Thanks to Tom at Future Radio  -
interesting advice.

The peculiar thing here is that artists such as James Blunt and Pink and
Beautiful South put much more offensive words in the album versions of their
hit  singles. And as we all know - these songs occasionally go on air during
day  time!

Hey - the Number 10 petition has reached 1,677 people already - fantastic
stuff! Heres the link if you're not on that list yet...
_http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/allthevoices/_
(http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/allthevoices/)

Kindest  Regards
Steve Suttie
Station Manager, 94.4FM Salford City  Radio
office 0161 793 2939
mobile 07772 355 852
WINNERS - Community Award - Salford Business Awards  2009
Visit our Website _www.salfordcityradio.org_
(http://www.salfordcityradio.org/listen.asx)