[cma-l] Offensive Lyrics - I offended

Karl Hartland hartland.karl at 209radio.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 10:08:15 BST 2009

I'm most shocked that this matter isn't a constant background issue; it
would be a good sign of health of our shared editorial journey if it were.

Context and respect are the watchwords and a station's own ability to
separate 'fruity' language from offensive hate is like a muscle; you
have to use it every day.

Aside from the letter of the Broadcast Code, in its interpretation you
obviously cannot risk a community's faith in your service in allowing
content which gives not much more than thrill to a DJ/producer who
recognises not fully the spheres within which they are operating...but
actually offends many others by its meaning.

And by that content I mean only words, phrases and lyrics which mean to
harm individuals and groups.

Which is why you ALWAYS have to drill down into the meaning and intent
behind the words used and never jerk thine knee.

I remember very clearly the mass workshop given to the first wave of CRO
applicants by Ofcom at Southwark; it gave me an early respect for their
interpretation of the rules and principles of the code and that has been
born out in practice too, in our experience- Ofcom themselves gave me
the confidence to NOT turn to 'bookburning' as a means of risk management.

*SMs & support staff*- find out why they want to play that before you
say no or go ballistic after the event, write yourself a style book on
top of the Code in consultation with all active programme makers, train
them 'til they're sick of hearing it and never be afraid to invoke the
disciplinary procedures when you have good evidence to /have /to use
them (have you got a policy?)
*Teams*- ask yourself why you want to play it, give adequate warning to
your listener, arm yourself with water-tight reasons as to why.
*Schedulers*- schedule it properly.

How much 'adult content' is on 209radio? A fair bit actually but it's
properly scheduled and carefully chosen for context.
How broad is our audience? VERY.
How many complaints lodged with Ofcom against 209radio since 2007? 3
How many upheld? None.
How many to do with an adult content choice/context by a team/producer?
None.

The Code is there to protect young people, not the sensibilities of
hand-wringers. </flinches and ducks>

Dialogue...adding to the plurality...all that Lol said...

*"The children were startled!" (c) The Now Show.*

LOL GELLOR wrote:
> For what it's worth - a plea to the better part of humanity and
> intellect - I'm irritated rather than offended - which is what you may be.
>
> Did I spend all that time and money for all those years lobbying,
> running, encouraging (& still assisting others) to do community radio
> so that the excluded could remain excluded. Censoring culture,
> language, art, faith, differing views, differing perspectives, human
> rights, notions of free speech, democracy, LANGUAGE that does not
> tally with ones own view or sensibility is best left to others please
> (mainstream media, BBC etc.). Though I guess the offensive moral high
> ground that seems to be innocently but arrogantly on offer in some of
> these contributions to the list would also be something I would
> ultimately have to defend. I seem to recall disagreeing with about
> eighty per cent of station output in my own case.
>
> Gosh don't we always know what's best for everyone else. But are you
> prepared to accept that your position may have more to with your own
> limitations rather than the limitations of others. Not easy is it!
>
> The greatest gift community radio has given me amongst all the
> blood,sweat and tears is the opportunity to have my own view of the
> world challenged so that I might just have a fuller comprehension of
> what the reality of others lives might involve. This is the tremendous
> opportunity community radio/media presents. By all means create
> content that is imbued with a particular sensibility but don't
> automatically exclude anything that authentically challenges it.
> Perhaps you might more intelligently approach the issue with an open
> world interrogation rather than simplistic judgement, who knows you
> may be better informed for the experience. There's no requirement that
> you change your language, become a hip hop artist or even attempt
> street dance. (I tried it but put my back out). Whilst you may feel
> you are invoking an almost Reithian sense of the past - you might just
> consider Community radio as one of the few opportunities to offer a
> genuine window on the world - a three dimensional view not mediated by
> the inherited, rather tired somewhat two dimensional view offered by
> the mainstream media platforms.
>
> Please don't miss what much of the journey is about - you will be
> missing a great opportunity - and for XXXX's sake lighten up a bit.
>
> all the very best
> Lolx
>

> --- On *Sun, 16/8/09, Julie at radiowestsuffolk.co.uk
> /<Julie at radiowestsuffolk.co.uk>/* wrote:
>

>     From: Julie at radiowestsuffolk.co.uk <Julie at radiowestsuffolk.co.uk>
>     Subject: Re: [cma-l] Offensive Lyrics
>     To: "Ian Hickling" <transplanfm at hotmail.com>
>     Cc: "cma-l" <cma-l at commedia.org.uk>, paradigm.productions at ntlworld.com
>     Date: Sunday, 16 August, 2009, 6:14 PM
>
>     Gentlemen please!
>
>     Having come from a "working" class East End family, father a
>     builder,
> [...]

Karl Hartland
209radio Station Manager

105 FM in the Cambridge City Area
http://209radio.co.uk everywhere else!

Citylife House
Sturton Street
Cambridge
CB1 2QF

01223 488418
07968 898254

209radio is a Registered Charity in England, No. 1124610,
and a Company Limited by Guarantee, No. 5585527

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of 209radio Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.