[cma-l] Offensive Lyrics

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Aug 17 09:18:22 BST 2009

Whilst I agree with Ian's point about the need for us (as
broadcasters) to be responsible in what we do in all respects, we
cannot and should not ignore Mark's point about access. Let's consider
who we are and who we serve. In the case of the Steve from Salford, he
serves an inner city area why this genre of music will have clear
impacts for SOME members of his community, members who will almost
certainly not be served by local BBC or commercial radio. Are we
saying that because they choose to use expletives then their music is
not worthy of airplay? Remember society frowned upon both The Beatles
and Elvis Presley as their behaviour was seen to be immoral.

Julie's wish for her presenters not to play music with swearing in at
all is probably right for her audience and is certainly right for any
daytime audience. I have an eagle ear for this kind of thing in the
music we play and will weed it out, as will our music team and our
station manager. What we are talking about here though is one show of
a specific genre that will serve a specific and under served audience.
An audience which expects expletives from some (but not all) artists.

Let's be clear. I am NOT saying we should open the floodgates and let
bad language and songs that encourage illegal behaviour on-air when
the kids are listening but where an approach is made for a specific
genre then we should have this kind of debate to consider it and
consider the benefits it can bring to our stations and communities.

Rich
Spark FM, Sunderland

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio Studies
Admissions Tutor
Programme Leader: FdA Community Radio & BA Radio
The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peters Campus
Sunderland, SR6 0DD
Tel: 0191 515 2239
Skype, Facebook & Twitter: richardberryuk
Web: www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio
Tags: www.delicious.com/richardberry
Blog:myblogs.sunderland.ac.uk/blogs/radio/