[cma-l] Hip Hop - offensive lyrics?

Stevensuttie at aol.com Stevensuttie at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 14:11:41 BST 2009

Dear CMA colleagues,

I have a very enthusiastic young chap who wishes to do a Hip Hop show. I
have zero knowledge of this particular genre, other than the music often
talks  about rascist, violent and sexual matters.

Unfortunately, this volunteer cannot get hold of radio edits for all songs,
 so occasionally, lyrics that may cause offence may be broadcast. I called
OFCOM this morning to ask if this was acceptable, if we put out disclaimers
 along the lines of "Warning: The following music contains lyrics that may
cause  offence - if you are easily offended this programme isn't for you."
The answer  was unclear from OFCOM - but put bluntly - that disclaimer would
not serve as a  protection should a listener complain.

So I wondered what everybody else does? Any help or guidance on this matter
 will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Kindest  Regards
Steve Suttie
Station Manager, 94.4FM Salford City  Radio
office 0161 793 2939
mobile 07772 355 852
WINNERS - Community Award - Salford Business Awards  2009
Visit our Website _www.salfordcityradio.org_
(http://www.salfordcityradio.org/listen.asx)