[cma-l] Traffic news on community radio - do you want it?

Karl Hartland hartland.karl at 209radio.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 12:34:34 BST 2009

This is a tricky one in my experience...

We use a range of RSS feeds, widgets, google map apps etc including
having to pop across the road and scope out 1 major route by eye...

We use Highways Agency widget, RSS and website (can be differences),
local Auntie traffic feed and a few 3rd party indie apps

Because none of them get everything in our experience and my fear is
this initiative won't be a cure-all either and may not be worth a fee if
we have to supplement it with other methods too- if it can be done then
it'll be worth A LOT of money and not just to us IMO.

All of the above is why a Cambridge ILR pays some poor soul to stand on
the route I mentioned above at primetime in a red afro wig and orange
jumpsuit...the abuse he gets from drivers says it's not just an
outreach/PR exercise...

K (209)

Jaqui Devereux wrote:
> Dear all
>
> We are in negotiation with Trafficlink to explore the possibility of a
> deal, either free or very low cost per annum, for the community radio
> sector to have access to local and regional traffic news.  We need to
> know how many of the licensed stations might be interested in carrying
> this, also if you could afford to pay something towards the service, how
> much you would be prepared to pay per annum.
>
> Obviously we would prefer that it is free for stations wanting to carry
> it.  We are aware that a few of you do already pay for traffic news - if
> you do, it would be very helpful if you could let me know, privately of
> course, how much you are being charged.
>
> Please could you let me know if you are interested in being part of any
> potential deal,
>
> With thanks
>
> Jaqui

Karl Hartland
209radio Station Manager

105 FM in the Cambridge City Area
http://209radio.co.uk everywhere else!

Citylife House
Sturton Street
Cambridge
CB1 2QF

01223 488418
07968 898254

209radio is a Registered Charity in England, No. 1124610,
and a Company Limited by Guarantee, No. 5585527

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of 209radio Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.