[cma-l] DCMS consultation closes 25th August - URGENT

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Tue Aug 11 15:58:30 BST 2009

Hi Jaqui and all

Thanks for the reminder!

It is really important that as many community radio supporters as
possible respond to this consultation on the Community Radio Order
and, although it is not one of the consultation questions, I don't
think we should miss the opportunity to remind DCMS that all of these
funding restrictions, justified or not, were to be accompanied by a
sizeable Community Radio Fund, which would have gone some way to
compensate, especially for those in the 150,000 overlap areas who are
not allowed to raise revenue from advertising and programme sponsorship at all.

And a reminder to all that there is a parallel consultation on
funding that closes a month later, on 22 September, where we must
further press the case for community radio to be recognised as an
"essential" form of public service broadcasting content in the
distribution of funds for services outside the BBC. The consultation
is focussed on news services, but completely misses the role of
citizen reporters and community correspondents working through
community media, and fails to mention community media in other
"essential" services.

The two consultations are here:

Community Radio licensing regime (closing 25 August)
http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/consultations/6213.aspx

Sustainable, independent and impartial news (closing 22 September)
http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/consultations/6245.aspx

Best wishes

Steve

             Steve Buckley, CM Solutions