[cma-l] Proposed changes to Copyright Exemptions in respect of Music Licensing

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Sep 26 15:05:38 BST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: "Colin Pearse" <colin.pearse at ntlworld.com>

Hi, I saw the subject of copyright came up so I thought I would grind
an axe or two.

I know from a conversation I had with Jaqui that the CMA had been
trying to make some progress in getting the fees and licence
management easier and fairer. This is something that should have been
sorted years ago.

If you have ever run an RSL you suddenly become very aware the costs
are wholly unfair. Compare the rates for small community stations and
hospital radios for instance that run on minimal budgets to the daily
rate for RSLs. The cost of music licensing for RSL's is out of all
proportion to what might be deemed "fair and equitable" when
comparisons are made.

I have always thought that it was possibly a case for the Office of
Fair Trading. I will point out several obvious things. As the number
of radio stations increased should the amount of licence fees grossed
have been allowed to grow exponentially. Having the licences doesn't
cover you for all copyright material and playing records for
particular artists doesn't automatically mean they will receive any
benefit whatsoever. Large amounts of charity money get eaten up in
these licence fees...

In the 21st century it must be possible to get things better
organised: licence to print money or protection racket?  Form your own
view. Of course community radio should have happened in the U.K. at
least 30 years ago... We do seem to have a lot of catching up to do
with those Third World countries that had it years before we did!

Colin Pearse. / Sussex Surrey Radio Group / Redhill
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Hickling" <transplanfm at hotmail.com>