[cma-l] Press release - Lottery cash will ensure Preston FM has a rosy future

Phil Shepherd phil at somersetfilm.com
Tue Nov 11 12:57:39 GMT 2008

Many congratulations to all at Preston FM, great news!

Phil S
Somerset Film

368,218 under
> its
Reaching Communities programme to Prescap ­ the community arts
> charity
behind the project.

The money will be used to extend the community
> radio project's work
over the next three years, providing radio-based learning
> and
volunteering opportunities for local people as well as supporting
local
> community and voluntary organisations to better promote their
work and
> services.

The Preston FM project has been running for nearly four years and
> has
so far involved over 500 local people in producing exciting local
radio
> programmes for the Preston community. The station, which can be
heard via
> www.preston.fm and on 103.2FM, launched full-time in October
following a
> licence award from Ofcom, the UK radio regulator.

Di Cuming, Prescap's Chief
> Executive, said:

"We're delighted to have received the Big Lottery Fund's
> support for
our community radio project. The grant will enable hundreds of
> people
from Preston of all ages and backgrounds to develop new skills, as
well
> as providing a creative platform for voluntary and community
organisations to
> better promote the work they do in the city."

Mike Gardner, Preston FM
> volunteer and chair of the project's steering
group, said:

"This is a
> fantastic result for the community radio project and for
Preston as a whole.
> It has taken a lot of people a lot of hard work to
get the project to this
> stage, and the support of the Big Lottery fund
will allow us to build on that
> success and to serve and involve the
community to a far greater extent than
> ever before."

The station is always on the look out for new volunteers to
> work
on-air and behind the scenes ­ full details of all the
> opportunities
available can be found on the project's website
> at
http://www.preston.fm or by calling 01772 880791.

Notes:

INTERVIEWS &
> PHOTOS

Photos of volunteers in action in the Preston FM studios are
> available
on request. Photographs and interviews with staff and volunteers
> can
also be arranged ­ contact Richard Lace, community radio project
manager,
> on 01772 880791

PRESCAP

Preston FM is run and managed by Preston Community
> Arts Project
(PRESCAP). Established in 1985, Preston based PRESCAP is a
> catalyst
for change: enabling people to explore, realise and value their
> full
potential through creativity. PRESCAP creates and delivers dynamic
arts
> projects with people, supporting urban regeneration and community
development.
> Other projects include delivery of Arts Council England's
Arts Awards in the
> North West and co-ordination of the North West
Consortium for Participatory
> Arts Learning.

BIG LOTTERY FUND

The Big Lottery Fund distributes half of all
> National Lottery good
cause funding across the UK. The Fund aims to enable
> others to make
real improvements to the lives of disadvantaged people and
> the
wellbeing of communities, through fair and open funding of
> people,
projects and programmes.

Big Lottery Fund Press Office: 020 7211
> 1888

Press office out-of-hours mobile: 07867 500 572

Big advice line (public
> enquiries): 08454 10 20 30

Full details of Big Lottery Fund programmes and
> grant awards are
available on the website:
> http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk

All National Lottery Distribution is