[cma-l] $5 Million for Your Idea: deadline 01/11/08

bruce bruce at celticmusicradio.net
Sun Nov 2 15:21:59 GMT 2008

> There are three rules to follow to apply to the 2008-09 Knight News Challenge:
>
>   1. Use or create digital, open-source technology as the code base.
>   2. Serve the public interest.
>   3. Benefit one or more specific geographic communities.
>
> Application Deadline is 1st November.

The deadline has now passed, and there are over 2000 applications.
There's now a brief "shortlisting" phase, and some of these
applications will be invited to make detailed proposals. The public
is invited to comment on them now. Have a look, there are some
excellent proposals there. There are also some bizarre and ridiculous ones...

There's one that I would like to highlight - OSSTL, an Open Source
Studio-Transmitter Link.

This is a project to develop a low-cost audio link, using several
existing open-source products, to provide a simple means of getting
signals out to transmitter sites over IP, or equally to link OB
sites to the main studio.

I have been speaking with the author (Jason Ellison) over the last few months,
and have proof-read some of his documents, offering technical advice on the
networking side.

I can see this work being of benefit to the whole community radio
community. Please have a look at the link below, and if you feel it is
a worthwhile project, add a comment and click the "5-star" rating.

Bruce.

http://generalapp.newschallenge.org/SNC/GroupSearch.aspx?pguid=4a4f8c6a-d2c2-4545-82db-c8ed4b415eba&username=infotek

--

Bruce Rodger