[cma-l] The Hunt Is On For UK’s Most Enterprising Solutions

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed May 28 14:01:29 BST 2008

A top prize of £10,000 is up for grabs in this year's Enterprising
Solutions Awards.

The competition, run by the Social Enterprise Coalition in partnership
with the Office of the Third Sector, the Royal Bank of Scotland and
Natwest, intends to celebrate and reward the UK's best social and
community enterprises.

The awards, which are now in their tenth year, has three separate categories:

    * Best Social Enterprise.
    * Best New Social Enterprise.
    * Social Enterprise in Schools.

The overall winner will receive a £10,000 cash prize and one year's
free membership of the Social Enterprise Coalition. Three overall
runners-up and the winner of the Best New Social Enterprise will
receive £5,000, whilst the Social Enterprise in Schools champion will
take home £1,000.

Launching this year's competition, Phil Hope, Minister for the Third
Sector, said:

"There's been real progress in the 10 years these awards have existed.
Social enterprises are increasingly known about, successful, winning
contracts, and contributing to society.

"We must keep showcasing and celebrating our top social entrepreneurs
and I look forward to seeing more of the passion, imagination and
inspiration of last year's winners."

The deadline for entering the awards is 1 July, with applicants
expected to demonstrate:

    * Proof of a positive impact on society and evidence of a
commitment to social change.
    * Evidence of innovation during the past 18 months.
    * A clear breakdown of income for the last three years of trading.
    * That at least 50% of the organisation's income has been received
through enterprising trading activities.
    * A business plan for the next three years that shows future
development and growth, along with continued innovation.

For more information on this year's awards, visit the Enterprising
Solutions Awards website: http://www.enterprisingsolutions.org/