[cma-l] the Secretary of State said

Phil Korbel phil at radioregen.org
Tue May 20 15:57:35 BST 2008

Apologies for cross posting

Dear all

we had Andy Burnham MP, Secretary of State for Culture Media and
Sport at WythenshaweFM last Thursday.  Sat in front of a mic he said:

“I’m incredibly impressed by what I’ve seen so far.  Just by speaking
to the people involved it’s clear that it’s passion, and it’s a
passion that’s changing lives.  It’s a great thing, and as we look to
the future, and look at the things that technology will make possible
I think that more communities will be taking control of their own
media, rather than being spoon fed media from the top down by a very
remote media company.  Let’s have some media from local communities
speaking to local communities.”

We rather like that.

And the impression he gave was one of engaged enthusiasm -
particularly as he was an adviser at what is now  his Department when
the original laws founding community radio were being drawn up.  So
he feel some 'ownership' of the sector in a way that perhaps his
predecessors didn't.

Feel free to quote at will!

best wishes,
Phil