[cma-l] Government to fund social return standard

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Tue May 6 13:33:46 BST 2008

In some ways this is great news, but there is a
very big 'BUT', and it ties in with last weeks
research re
democratising engagement.

Here at 10Radio (broadcasting in rural Somerset
on the edge of Exmoor) we are tiny and 100%
volunteer driven (albeit with 100 or so
volunteers).  Most of our combined effort goes
into making and presenting programmes while
almost all of the back-office and technical stuff
is done on a 'only if we really really have to'
basis.  Nevertheless, we do broadcast some very
good programmes  debating local issues and
promoting local events.  Anecdotally this seems
to add value all around as increasing numbers of
people engage in and understand issues etc.  But
we don't measure the extent of this, and to be
honest I wouldn't really know how to measure it
without engaging in a lot of market research,
data collection and analysis (all the stuff we'd
be hard pushed to do).

So while the idea or suggestion of more
government support for social enterprise in
return for social value is great, I fear that it
will only be available to those organisations
with the capacity to statistically prove their
worth - and that will rule out organisations such
as ours which get by on a shoestring,
irrespective of the (unproven) worth that we
deliver to our rural listeners.

Any suggestions as to how we (or 'the system')
get out of this trap are, as always, welcome!

Julian

At 12:07 +0100 6/5/08, CMA-L wrote:
>>From Third Sector Online:
>
>The Government is to spend about £350,000 on developing a standard for
>measuring social return on investment, third sector minister Phil Hope
>will announce today.
>
>The project will help charities and social enterprises prove their
>social value to potential public service or private investors, said
>Hope, speaking to Third Sector before his announcement at today's Good
>Deals conference on social investment.
>
>The three-year funding will be used on events and research intended to
>develop "greater consensus and standardisation" in the measurement of
>social impact. The OTS will also work to promote an understanding of
>social reporting in other Government departments, and among grant
>funders and social investors, Hope said.
>
>The research will be of particular interest to supporters of a
>proposed social stock exchange, which relies on social businesses
>being able to accurately assess their value in terms of both financial
>and social return.
>
>Individual investors or venture philanthropists will also be able to
>put a precise value on what their investment has achieved as a result
>of the scheme.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/6nmgsh

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
105.3fm
http://www.10radio.org

1 Croft Cottage
West St
Wiveliscombe
Somerset
TA4 2JP

Tel: 01984 624 137

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 16 Silver St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset, TA4 2PA
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252