[cma-l] Broadcast desks

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Fri May 2 17:07:02 BST 2008

> Who knows, maybe we'll be able to buy a new desk this year, we certainly
> need one!
>
> So which would you recommend?

When we installed our studio over 6 years ago, we chose a D&R Airlab (16
channels) and have never for a second regretted the choice. Slightly more
than 'basic', but if you are looking for a conventional analogue mixing desk
with superb flexibility, this is still the one I would go for, and it's
still on the market in a new Mk2 update for 2008
http://www.d-r.nl/dnrsite/products/airlab/airlab.html

It has a maximum capacity of 16 channels, but a 12 channel typical config
would cost about £6000. And that includes 2 telco modules with their own
hybrids, saving more money. Each mixer cxhannel can be switched between a
microphone and two alternative stereo feeds, so channels can double up for
occasion use - we have a total of 25 inputs to our 16 channels.

Ours has been running live on air 24/7, with several hours use per day, for
the past six years and is still just fine. We have users from 8 to over 80
and have had no trouble at all training all to use it. It's testimony to its
design that we are still using it very happily. It is also electronically
very straightforward in construction and electronic design, and any good
electronics engineer could maintain or modify iy it with ease.

There is a stripped down non modular model, Airmate, for tighter bidgets,
and also a very neat exnhanced model Airmax which has provision for external
computer or other automated overide of faders - in fact they've done exactly
what I was thinking of doing as a DIY modification of our desk to enhance
its remote controllability without replacing it with a full digitial desk.
An effective combination of digital control with analogue signal paths. I
believe the Airmax 12-module version is on 'special offer' at the moment
with 8 loaded channels for only about 10% more than the 12-input Airmax.

After six happy years, our horizons are expanding, and we are about to get a
new desk, an all-singing, all-dancing ethernet based digital model, but we
will still hold on to the old desk to form a second training/prerecording
studio. And several of us have a sentimental attachement to it as well!

Alex
Two Lochs Radio