[cma-l] MCPS community radio production music discount

Tony Wilding tony33hill at ntlworld.com
Thu May 1 11:23:56 BST 2008

Hi Murray, there is no agreement at the moment other than this here:

http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Radio%20Broadcasting/Community%20Radio%20and%20FAQ.pdf

Whats covered reads:

An MCPS Licence is required for the right to record MCPS members’
repertoire into:
Non-programme material, but excluding station idents
Programmes produced by the radio station for broadcast on its own station
Server or other hard-disk storage for subsequent direct-to-air broadcast
Broadcast of production music sound recordings
However, Advertisements are excluded from the MCPS licence and must be
cleared individually. Use of commercial music in a sponsored item is
excluded, where a reasonable person would associate the music with the
sponsor. Association can be deemed to exist, for example, where there is
a small or no gap between a commercial work and reference to the sponsor.

Under MCPS tariff is this statement:

MCPS do not currently have a scheme in place to cover your service. Your
details will be held on file, and contact will be made once MCPS is in a
position to issue the licence. For budgeting please allow the same
minimum fee as PRS, £586 plus VAT per licence year.

hth Tony