[cma-l] New DEMOS report - Democratising Engagement

Cathy Aitchison cathy.aitchison at btinternet.com
Thu May 1 08:32:03 BST 2008

To be fair, there's very little mention of the media at all, ie. the
emphasis seems to be on the participatory.

It could be included in some of the recommendations boxes, eg [my square
brackets]:
'· Improve communication through the use of more direct forms of
communication like rallies, door-to-door visits, street theatre [and
community media] etc.
· Change rules of representation to ensure that there is
representation from all users, including measures such as the
reservation of seats [and editorial space] for particular excluded groups.'
(both 'Who Speaks for Whom', p52)

The examples of participatory government are very interesting, eg.:
'The contrast between Brazil's health councils and the UK's
soon-to-be-abolished patient and public involvement forums could not be more
marked. As the UK puts the new act into practice, Brazilian experience could
prove very useful.' (p37)

Does anyone know what role community media played in helping to bring about
systems of participatory governance in Brazil?

Best wishes
Cathy