[cma-l] Disability Access Community Radio

Darren Jenkinson darren at prescap.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 10:09:57 GMT 2008

Hi Rycharde,

A very direct answer to your question is that your doorway into the
studio and around the desk must be 750mm as well as room for maneuvering
the wheelchair itself.

The DDA is a little vague when it comes to accessibility; the word they
use is reasonable adjustment. If as a community a radio station you are
open to people with disabilities (and in my opinion all stations should
be), then if your studio is inaccessible then you have to make
reasonable adjustments to allow access.

This could be as major as installing a lift if your studio is upstairs
or having a mobile studio which can be moved to an accessible location.

The only sure thing to my understanding is that if you label yourself as
an accessible station and you're not accessible for all you are in
breach of the DDA.

There is lots of information on the web or alternatively give a local
disability resource centre a call. As far as I am aware OFCOM will have
no opinion on this as it is not a broadcasting issue, it's a building
issue.

Hope that helps

Darren Jenkinson
Preston FM