[cma-l] Ofcom publishes reasons for the award of four newcommunity radio licences

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 11:27:19 GMT 2008

> On the idea that commercial licence holding stations might become
> community in practice - consider Heartland serving Highland Perthshire
> which set out its stall as a community channel but operating under a
> commercial licence 18 years ago.

Just to fill out the picture a little, there are also 7 other stations
operating in the Highlands and Islands as fully licensed commercial ILR
stations, but operated by bodies constituted not-for-profit and operated
mostly by volunteers and wholly for community benefit.

These stations all went the tortuous route of persuading the Radio Authority
to be flexible enough to advertise licences for these areas, even though
their commercial viability was less than zero in conventional terms. It was
to the RA's credit that it went out on a limb in its interpretation of its
statutory duties in achieving this.

All the stations licensed in this way are still operating today. Ours, Two
Lochs Radio (www.2LR.co.uk) is the smallest licensed radio station in the
UK, with a TSA population of 1,681. At the time many years ago when we
started petitioning for a licence to be advertised for this area, a
population of 50,000 was the industry accepted figure for breadline
commercial viability. We like to think that the Highland experience was one
of the things that encouraged the Radio Authority to think that the
community radio pilot was worth trying out.

There is only one commercially-operated ILR in the Highlands and Islands
(MFR in Inverness), which started out with a strong community focus, but
with one takeover after another gradually became pretty much just another
local commercial station (imho).

Nowadays of course, with the coming of CR licenses,  we find ourselves in
something of a Neverland - the smallest Highlands and Islands stations have
very much less income to draw upon than any CR licensee I have come across,
(and our eyes water at the number of posts and salaries offered by many CR
stations!), but we have no access to the Community Radio fund of course (the
*average* payout from which in an earlier year was more than our annual
commercial turnover!). We are also in a slightly odd position in the
industry, as members of the RadioCentre, but not operating for commercial
profit in the traditional sense.

There have recently also been some Highland CR licence awards as well, such
as Ness Radio, Superstation (Orkney) and Speysound, which is all brilliant
news, and we all work together very happily in our own association, the
Highlands and Islands Community Broadcasting Federation, which is also
incorporated as a charitable trust. I know there are definitely some
excellent CR stations out there, by the way, Rycharde. One of them, Angel
Radio, gave an excellent presentation at our most recent HICBF conference,
and I know a number of people up here who have become keen listeners to the
station by Internet!

Only one of the community-based stations (Ness FM) is in the coverage patch
of an existing ILR, and I haven't posted this to enter the debate about the
CR rules one way or the other, though I'm finding the debate very
interesting.  I just wanted to take the opportunity to remind folks that in
the north of Scotland there is another tier of community-based radio that
sits in between ILR and CR, some of these are in areas with significant
commercial potential, others not.. I guess in reality we now have a whole
spectrum of stations, despite the notional dividing lines. Diversity Rules!

Cheers
Alex

Two Lochs Radio
Serving the communities of Wester Ross on 106 & 106.6 FM

PS the ILR-licensed community-based stations I mentioned are:
 Two Lochs Radio
 Cuillin FM
 Isles FM
 Nevis Radio
 Lochbroom FM
 Argyll FM
 Oban FM

All based on the west coast or islands, and all operated by not-for-profit
companies established for community benefit, but holding full ILR licences.