[cma-l] FAO: Chairman/Station Manager URGENT

Ian McGregor ian at radiointerviews.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 11:58:30 BST 2008

Please forward this message and attachment URGENTLY to your chairman or
station manager if that is not you!

Would you like some more money for your community radio station?

I have today launched a mini campaign to help get your station a share
in the £1.1 million fine levied against GCap Media last week for
misleading listeners in a paid for phone-in competition (see my letter
to the Secretary of State below).

If you think it's a good idea, I invite you to do the following:

1: Write your own letter to Andy Burnham suggesting the same thing
(please write it in your own words though, perhaps tailoring it to your
own station's specific experiences but by all means refer to my letter
to make the connection). Be polite, but persuasive in your arguments.

2: Tell your local papers you've done so to create some local media
interest (there's an example press release below, feel free to
personalise and localise it or write one of your own). You can use your
press release as an opportunity to remind people about the role your
station plays in its community and the difficulties in raising funds
(given the restraints of the legislation). You may well be asked what
would your station do with the money if the Treasury decide to play
Robin Hood and share it, so please think about that beforehand.

EXAMPLE PRESS RELEASE:

(YOUR TOWN) COMMUNITY RADIO STATION SHOUTS TO THE TOP!
Local radio volunteers ask Secretary of State for share in 'windfall' money

(Your town)'s community radio station (xxx FM) is asking the Chancellor
of the Exchequer to play Robin Hood.

Station bosses want Alistair Darling to redistribute a £1.1 million fine
windfall - levied against radio giant GCap Media for misleading
listeners in a paid for phone-in competition  - to help struggling
community radio stations across the country, including (your town).  The
money is otherwise destined for Treasury coffers.

"We think this money should be shared by community radio stations like
(xxFM) which are run mostly by volunteers who broadcast day in and day
out, serving their communities
whilst struggling to get by on very little money," said (XXFM's
chairman/station manager ..........).

"If the £1.1 million was shared equally amongst the UK's 162 community
stations, they would get £6,790 each - and best of all, it wouldn't cost
the taxpayers a single penny, because the money is an unexpected
windfall as far as the government is concerned."

(xxFM) has been broadcasting to ............. since ......... The
station, based at ..... is on air for xx hours a day and it's programmes
includes ...(local stuff here)

"We make it our business to be part of and at the heart of the local
community including ...(examples here) ... .  But radio stations are
expensive to run.  <<xxFM> is a mainly voluntary service, but we incur
music royalties, broadcast fees, studio rent, utility costs and business
rates like any other, not to mention the cost of buying and repairing
studio equipment and computers.

"The money would be like a dream to us - with a sum like that we could

"This is potentially a one off golden opportunity for the government to
recognise the work of community radio stations up and down the country
and provide a much needed financial boost for these very small stations
that are poor in pocket but rich in diversity and community spirit.  So
I do urge the chancellor and the Department for Culture, Media and
Sport, to  play Robin Hood and distributing the windfall fine to help
community radio here in ........... and across the UK."

EXAMPLE PRESS RELEASE ENDS

Please act quickly - try to meet your local paper's deadline for the
next edition (in most cases Tuesday) - whilst the story is still topical.

As well as there possibly being a golden pot of money at the end of it,
it will also potentially give you some valuable local newspaper
publicity (local newspapers like local campaigns) to talk about the
valuable work you are doing in your communities.

By all means also copy your Andy Burnham letter to the Radio Magazine
(news at theradiomagazine.co.uk) and Broadcast (chris.curtis at emap.com is
the editor) if you wish to support the initiative, and copy in the
Community Media Association and your local MP as well.

For your information, there is a list of the 'dirty thirty' stations
that broadcast the 'fixed' competition here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/26/gcapmedia.radio?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

I hope this all works and that you, and the other community stations,
get the dosh!

If not, well, there was nothing lost in trying - and the local publicity
may well bring you some new listeners and perhaps even some local offers
of funding.

Good luck!

Ian McGregor
Just Talking BROADCAST PR
Check out our plain English radio audience guide here: []

PS: This email has been sent to all of the UK community stations I could
find email addresses for.  But please share it with your friends and
colleagues at other community stations in case they've been missed,
let's keep that £1.1 million in sight before it gets lost in the big pot!

If you have any questions about this email, please send a BRIEF enquiry
and I'll endeavour to send a BRIEF reply.  Please do not phone (sorry,
we're a small but busy agency, and we're running this campaign informally.

---------- Attached message ----------

URGENT The Rt Hon Andy Burnham MP

Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport

Room 118
70 Whitehall
LONDON
SW1A 2AS

Dear Sir

The news that Ofcom has fined GCap Media £1.1 million for misleading
listeners in a paid for phone-in competition, comes in the same week as
the sad news of the closure, through lack of funds, of one of London’s
first community radio stations, TGR Sound in Bexley.

Many of the UK’s commercial radio stations, some of them very big and
profitable companies, are actively reducing local programmes with more
and more broadcasts being fed in from other areas - this very week in
fact, GCap's 'One' network is cutting yet more local hours and extending
'group' content.   Worse still, some local commercial stations are
actually moving out of the towns they are licensed to serve, reducing
costs and boosting profits at the expense of their local listeners.

In contrast, the UK's 162 not-for-profit community radio stations
struggle to pay the bills whilst unpaid volunteers serve their listeners
in a way commercial local stations once did but many have long since
abandoned.

So I wondered if the Gcap fine could potentially be turned into some
good news for the community volunteers?   If the £1.1 million was shared
equally amongst the community stations, it would give them a windfall of
£6,790 each – a drop in the ocean in commercial radio land, but almost a
lottery win in the not-for-profit sector.  And better still, it wouldn't
cost taxpayers a single penny, because the money – which I understand
will otherwise disappear into general Treasury coffers – is an
unexpected windfall as far as the government is concerned.

This year's Community Radio Fund of £500,000, kindly allocated by your
department, has so far helped eighteen not-for profit stations – but
that's fewer than one in ten, and that small number of awards has taken
up most of the money.  That means more than nine in ten of the stations
will get no government help at all.

I'm writing to you because I understand from the Treasury team that your
department is the first point of contact for the GCap fine story, so
could I ask please that you give this suggestion due consideration, and,
if you think it a valid proposition, make the necessary approach to your
colleague, Alistair Darling?

This is potentially a one off golden opportunity to recognise the work
of the – mainly volunteer - community radio sector and provide a much
needed financial boost for these tiny stations that are poor in pocket
but rich in diversity and community spirit.

I am copying this letter to Ofcom and the Community Media Association
for information, also, to the people in charge at each of the community
radio stations, as well as to the media press.

I appreciate your time and look forward to your comments in due course.

Yours faithfully

Ian McGregor
Managing Director
Just Talking BROADCAST PR