[cma-l] Opportunity to inform radio production standards for skills, development

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 13:17:21 BST 2008

Dear all

Please find below an invitation from Skillset to help shape the
Occupational Standards fro Radio Production

If you want to attend any of the meetings please could you contact Amy
Thomas directly:

Email - amyt at skillset.org Tel: 07855 378640

Best wishes

Jaqui

Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

Dear colleague

I would like to invite you to take part in one of our Focus Groups to
review the National Occupational Standards for Radio Production.
National Occupational Standards (Standards) define the competencies
(skills, knowledge & understanding) which apply to specific job roles or
occupations.  Standards are written in consultation with industry
practitioners and employers to ensure that they are relevant and
up-to-date with current work practices.  Standards are used as
benchmarks to develop Human Resource tools, training provision,
accredited qualifications and other products that help the development
of workforce skills.

There will be 7 focus groups across the country - 3 sector-specific
sessions in London, and cross-sector groups in Glasgow, Manchester,
Cardiff and Belfast.  Based on your experience in the community radio
sector I would like to invite you to the community radio focus group on
Wednesday 9 July, 13:30 - 16:30, at Skillset, Focus Point, 21 Caledonian
Road, London, N1 9GB.  The BBC sector group are meeting in the morning,
and there will be an opportunity to network with them over lunch before
the community radio group meets in the afternoon.  Travel expenses will
be covered on completion of a claim form that will be provided on the
day.  We will send an agenda and some briefing material nearer the time
but broadly speaking the meeting will cover---------------------------:

1. An introduction to the standards and approach to updating them

2. Discussion to agree the key functions involved in radio content
creation, e.g., writing & scripting, presentation, audio recording &
editing etc.

3. Discussion to identify core units for each function, e.g.,
understanding of writing for online and other text based means of
distribution, as well as writing for the ear, would be core to the
'writing & scripting' function.

4. Discussion around support functions aligned to radio content creation
and how these should be dealt with in the standards - these support
functions would include areas such as broadcast engineering, marketing &
sales and social enterprise management in the community radio sector.

If you are unable to attend the London meeting we would be very grateful
if you could recommend a colleague who could attend in your place.
Alternatively, you would be more than welcome to attend one of the
cross-sector focus groups in:

Glasgow - 2 July, 14:00-17:00 (this follows the Radio Festival)
Manchester - 8 July, 11:00-14:00 (lunch provided)
Cardiff - 10 July, 12:00-15:00 (lunch provided)
Belfast - 18 July, 12:00-15:00 (lunch provided)

I hope you will be able to take part in this important development work.
We will contact you again to confirm arrangements but please feel free
to call me if you have any questions in the meantime.

Best wishes

Amy.

Amy Thomas
Skillset Radio Sector Manager

Email - amyt at skillset.org Tel: 07855 378640

Amy Thomas
Midlands Regional Manager/Radio Sector Manager
Skillset | Screen West Midlands | 9 Regent Place | Birmingham | B1 3NJ
T: 0121 265 7140 | M: 07855 378640 | F: 0121 265 7180 | E:
amyt at skillset.org | W: www.skillset.org
The Skillset Media Academies are here!
A new network of universities and colleges that work with industry to
develop the new wave of creative talent in TV and Interactive Media.
Find out more at www.skillset.org/mediaacademies

For all careers enquiries visit www.skillset.org/careers or call the
Skillset Careers Helpline on 08080 300 900 (England and Northern
Ireland), 0808 100 8094 (Scotland) or 0800 0121 815 (Wales).

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities