[cma-l] Community media in London - meeting June 18th

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jun 5 12:51:04 BST 2008

WHAT IS TO BE DONE?
a meeting to discuss

Community media in London: policy, practice and advocacy

Wednesday June 18, 2008, 1.30 – 5.30 pm in Room G-08
at Ladbroke House, 62/66 Highbury Grove, London, N5 2AD

You are invited to an informal get-together of community media and arts
practitioners, organized by Peter Lewis and Salvatore Scifo, to discuss
what should be the policy directions of the ‘third sector’ in London.

Our Finding and Funding Voices colloquium last September (see
http://www.communitymedia.eu/) identified the need for “support for the
CMA to raise awareness of Community Media in London through lobbying and
strengthening links with Government ministers and departments (including
Prime Minister and Mayor’s Office) and local authorities.”

We are members of the UK’s Community Media Association, but this is not
an official CMA meeting, though Jaqui Devereux, Director of the CMA,
will be present. We are not trying to set up a new organization, but we
hope in the future to arrange a series of policy workshops to examine in
detail the agenda this first meeting will propose.

Please come prepared to talk about
•	current and potential sources of funding
•	technical constraints and opportunities – spectrum scarcity, digital
switchover, web broadcasting
•	lobbying and advocacy tactics – what works, who to reach
and bring
•	evidence-based data – stories of social gain
•	contact details of others not present who would like to keep in touch

Numbers are limited, RSVP to addresses below asap! We can refund
reasonable costs of participation -  travel within London, childcare
(bring receipts/tickets) for those unable to recover costs from their
employing institutions.

Peter Lewis, Senior Lecturer in Community Media
Salvatore Scifo, Lecturer in Community Media
p.lewis at londonmet.ac.uk; s.scifo at londonmet.ac.uk

Directions:

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/about/ladbroke-house.cfm
(allow 10 mins walk from Highbury & Islington Station; 4, 19, 236 buses
pass the door).

Department of Applied Social Sciences
Ladbroke House
62/66 Highbury Grove
London
N5 2AD

Dear all. please contact Peter or Salvatore if you want to attend this
meeting, you do need to reserve a place with them.

Jaqui
--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities