[cma-l] Changing Key Commitments - Ofcom Consultation DEADLINE Monday 21st

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 14:04:19 BST 2008

Dear all

The closing date for responses to Ofcom's Consultation on the Regulation
of Community Radio Services - considering changes to a station's key
commitments is Monday 21st July.  There are three questions as below.

Please find below the CMA's draft response, which will also be on our
website very soon.  We would really like to know if you agree with our
draft response, if not what you think we need to change.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Jaqui

Q1 Do you agree that a proposed change is likely to be substantial if it
would change the target community, and/or change
the ‘character of service’ paragraph in the ‘key commitments’, and/or
alternatively may need to be decided on a case-by-case basis?

The CMA agrees with Ofcom’s view that “character of the licensed
service” should be taken to mean and include everything
set out in a station’s “key commitments” document.  In our view,
substantial change to any one part of the key commitments
could be considered to fundamentally alter the character of the service.
  However, we agree that this should be decided on a
case-by-case basis rather than tightening the interpretation of what
would be considered “substantial”.  Should Ofcom decide to
operate on a case-by-case basis, the CMA would want there to be
guidelines and examples in place to guide stations on what
might be considered a substantial change.

We do recognise that there may be cases where, prima facie, the proposed
change appears substantial but could in practice
not be so.  For example, if the original target community as stated in
the key commitments document itself changes over time,
this would need to be considered very carefully but might in the end
mean that the station was still serving its community, albeit with
different characteristics than was the case when the original
application was accepted.  The CMA would want Ofcom to ensure there
was robust evidence that this was the case.

Q2 Do you agree with each of the five additional criteria that Ofcom
proposes to apply to any requests for changes to ‘key commitments’?
If not, why not?

The CMA agrees in principle with the five additional criteria to be
applied.

  •	Community Radio characteristics of service – we fully support
Ofcom’s view that it should not agree to any proposed change that
would lead to any conflict with the core ethos of community radio as
laid out in the Community Radio Order.

  •	Time elapsed since the licence commenced - We agree that stations
should operate for at least one year before Ofcom considers
any change in key commitments.  Where a change to key commitments is
accepted, we would want the station to meet its revised key
commitments for at least one year before requesting any further changes.

•	Reason for the change - We agree that where a station wants to adjust
its key commitments in order to better serve its community
it should be able to do so, provided this is properly evidenced
including support from all parts of the community.  Such reasons might
include,
among others, changing demographics of the station’s target population,
changes in premises/transmission sites requiring technical
adjustments and changes in population density.

  •	Impact of the change - We agree that Ofcom should make an assessment
of the impact of any proposed change and its effect on the
delivery of all aspects of the community radio service.  We think there
would need to be some guidance on the factors Ofcom would take
into account when assessing impact.

  •	Avoidance of ‘format creep’ – We support Ofcom’s stance on ‘format
creep’ and agree that sometimes a series of what seem to be
small changes to key commitments may, when put together, amount to a
substantial change.

Q3 Do you have any further proposals for making the procedure more
effective and/or appropriate, that you would like to bring to our attention?

The CMA would want any consultation on proposed changes to key
commitments to be distributed widely (more widely than the Ofcom
email lists) so that all interested parties have the chance to respond,
particularly members of the station’s initial target community.
There would also need to be safeguards in place to ensure that
potentially vexatious responses to the consultation were not given
undue weight in Ofcom’s considerations.

Where a station goes forward with its application to change its key
commitments, i.e. it goes into the public consultation period, the CMA
considers that it is important that the final decision is made by the
Radio Licensing Committee as a matter of course.

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities