[cma-l] Guardian Ethnic Media Summit 2008 – earlybird discount offer!

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 11:18:54 BST 2008

Hi Karl

2008/7/4 Karl Hartland <hartland.karl at 209radio.co.uk>:
> I'm a little curious as to who within the CR group will be able to attend
> this, taking the delegate cost into account

Agreed, probably very few at this price:

Supported rate: voluntary sector, not-for-profit, charities
£295 + VAT (£346.63 inc)

However, the CMA does have a significant presence at the conference:

14.00 PANEL DEBATE
Minorities are the mainstream: Representation, inclusion, perception
and portrayal of ethnic groups in the UK media
• Can the portrayal of ethnic minorities in mainstream media ever be
fair and balanced?
• What responsibility and accountability do mainstream controllers of
editorial content have in shaping the perception of ethnic minority
groups?
• Is the problem with a lack of inclusion in mainstream media not so
much a matter of race but more of wealth and class?
Moderator: Kamal Ahmed, group director of communications, Equality and
Human Rights Commission
Mohamed Ali, CEO, Islam Channel
Jaqui Devereux, director, Community Media Association
Joseph Harker, assistant comment editor, Guardian News & Media

Furthermore, the CMA will be using the conference as a platform to
promote the wider community media sector, and The Guardian has given
the CMA a free delegate place that will be taken up by either a CMA
staff member, Council or CMA member.

We have asked for more free delegate places but the request was
politely declined.

All the best

Bill
--