[cma-l] hosted content management solution for website...

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 11:26:36 BST 2008

2008/7/1 Leslie Bunder <leslie at somethingjewish.co.uk>:
> Hi folks

Hi Leslie

> I am currently finalising some plans we have for our new content
> management system and with that in mind have the following question.

Great!

> Is anyone aware of a hosted content management solution aimed aimed
> small/medium publishers/broadcasters?

Have you tried CMSMadeSimple yet?

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

It's very good for smaller websites and is very well supported.

> We created our own CMS and will be doing some updating and improvements
> to it, but if there is something else out there that I may have missed,
> it would be useful to know.

The CMA has had some experience with custom-written CMS's but in our
opinion it is better to use a non-proprietary one as it's easier to
fix and maintain through contact with the CMS's developer community.

> I'm not looking at Joomla, Drupal etc as we have tested them but found
> from a day to day editing and updating they really are not suitable for
> writers as they are quite techie products and also there is no
> hosted/managed service for them.

There's a huge list of open source CMS's here that you can try:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

> Wordpress is great for blog projects and we use it, but not for a fully
> blown CMS as that needs technical investment and not sure how far
> Wordpress can really scale.

Wordpress can scale very well indeed and does not need to be limited
to blog sites.  A quick search for "wordpress for non-blog sites"
gives me this:

http://blog.pixelita.com/10/10-non-blog-wordpress-sites/

> So what we are after is a proven CMS that can be paid for on a monthly
> basis.

Canstream, the CMA's online media service, offers hosting for content
management system driven websites starting from £25 per month at the
CMA Members' discount rate.  We are happy to support Joomla!, Mambo,
Drupal, WordPress, CMSMadeSimple and so on.  We are already hosting
dynamically driven websites for a number of community media projects
and we're happy to provide references.

> If there is nothing, would members of the list be interested in
> something we are doing?

Furthermore, the CMA is an approved Zen Internet Partner and is
authorised to sell a range of services on behalf of the award-winning
Internet Service Provider Zen Internet. Contact us to access a full
range of Internet Services including:

Internet Access: DSL, leased lines, IP VPN
Internet Security: Online Data Backup, Managed Firewalls
Domains & Web Hosting: Domain Names, Web Hosting, Colocation, Managed
Windows Servers
Voice (VOIP) Services: Zen Broadband Voice, Zen Wholesale Voice
Web Site Design: Web Site Design, Search Engine Optimisation

More details available here:  http://www.canstream.co.uk/

> Cheers
>
> Leslie

Hope that helps and best regards