[cma-l] URGENT: Clarification of scope of Ofcom's 14th February Local TV Deadline

Dave Rushton local.tv at virgin.net
Mon Jan 28 18:03:12 GMT 2008

Dear All,

As a reminder - Ofcom has identified 71 sites out of 80 from which
local TV might be delivered on interleaved spectrum. Organisations
outside the 71 areas are making the case for inclusion for assignment
of interleaved spectrum suitable for local TV

The presentation to Local TV stakeholders can be downloaded from
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ddr/events/ddrevent140108/

The following list of 25 transmitter sites are those sites Ofcom has
included in an indicative list in preparation for auction, anticipating
local TV interest lies only in these areas. For many organisations the
scale of the signal from these transmitters is too big, covering
several civic and/or regeneration areas, therefore putting smaller and
more local organisations at some disadvantage in bidding for spectrum
whose scale and coverage they do not require. Following discussion with
Carmel
McLaughlin today, Ofcom will consider looking at dividing the spectrum
before auction to enable signals in different directions to better suit
a more local scale of reach but only if there is strong demand for this
identified and presented to the regulator. Currently that deadline
remains the 14th February although there will be a later opportunity to
negotiate during the consultation on the interleaved spectrum packaging
envisaged by Ofcom to run from March for ten weeks.

At the local TV presentation on 14th January Peter Madry suggested as
an example that spectrum from the Winter Hill transmitter could be used
to deliver separate services for Manchester, Liverpool and Blackpool
(or Preston) if the antenna arrangement on the transmitter tower and
allocation of spectrum were coordinated. However, if there is no
evidence of interest in such an arrangement in any transmitter area
then the spectrum will be auctioned as a single omnidirectional
assignment.

  If there is only one scale of allocation at the initial auction, t he
alternatives to achieve a more localised reach, include:-

the successful bidder for a multiplex of in group TV spectrum at their
discretion sells on channels or radial segments not required to third
parties (if they choose not to hang on to it to command access and
revenues on a regional scale and evacuate a more local competition);

there is a second in band allocation of interleaved spectrum, with the
same coverage pattern,and this is won at auction by a second bidder
representing a consortium of local interests, (who divide up by
channels and/or radial segments) or;

the band manager (whose role will be to manage left-over spectrum)
identifies unallocated spectrum suitable for TV transmission and
reception in the areas on a smaller scale from relays at some later
date (so long as this is not in the bands awarded).

Currently the remit of the band manager - and length of license they
might issue - has not been resolved. The alternatives carry significant
risks - so if you know what your plans are for your area then make
these known to Ofcom before 14th February

25 indicative sites

Crystal Palace
Sutton Coldfield
Winter Hill
Emley Moor
BlackHill
Wenvoe
Divis
Rowridge VP
Pontop Pike
Mendip
Waltham
Dover
Tacolneston
Sudbury
Bilsdale
Oxford
Belmont
The Wrekin
Sandy Heath
Hannington
Londonderry
Heathfield
Craigkelly
Ridge Hill
Caldbeck

As a reminder this was the substance of the earlier email, originally
alerting those outside the 25 larger sites, but with the relevant to-do
list.

The emerging view is that unless you actually need spectrum to reach
the entire population of one of these large transmitters (and are
prepared to bid for its omnidirectional signal and audience reached)
you should submit your narrower service requirements to Ofcom before
14th February ..... there are no guarantees but perhaps better to have
made the argument and lost than not to have made the argument at all!!

If nothing else this exercise may bring into the open possible
consortia to bid for a mux - comprising up to 10 SD channels - on a
cooperative basis.

You can give me a ring (0131-466 3021) if you can't locate frequency
plans - 71 of the 80 total are on Ofcom's site

>> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ddr/statement/

Dave Rushton