[cma-l] 20 million listeners for Bristol Community fm

Phil Gibbons phil at bcfm.org.uk
Tue Feb 5 15:14:05 GMT 2008

A great story from Bristol......

Next time someone asks you if you know how many listeners community
radio attracts you can say 20 million. Or at least that is what happened
on Thursday 31st January when the presenter Israa Zinalabdin and her
radio team from the Sudan National Radio station broadcast live to the
Sudan from BCfm 93.2fm

BCfm's Mohammed El Sharif and Mohammed Makawi who present the Sudanese
show on Saturdays from 4pm to 7pm were part of the special live show
from the BCfm studios on Thursday 31st  January at 7pm. This show was
simulcast to the Sudan where the show regularly attracts around
20million listeners!

Israa and her team were invited to the UK by the Sudanese community of
Bristol.  They had heard of the Sudanese show on BCfm and wanted to show
support by accepting the invitation.   They also wanted to provide the
Sudanese people in Africa with a positive experience of the Sudanese
community in the UK and to bridge gaps and open communication channels
between the two continents as well as to reflect the tolerance and
co-existence of the UK society. This was the first time the Sudan
National Broadcasting Corporation had done a live outside broadcast from
anywhere in Europe and was received with excitement and positivity with
their listeners back home.

After the show at BCfm, they went to the BBC to record with 'BCfm on BBC
Radio Bristol'. This is a two hour show on local BBC that is presented
by BCfm presenters and showcases BCfm output.  Joanne Schofield who
produces the show said "..it was a privilege to have Israa and her team
as guests on the BBC, I could see just how important this was to the
Sudanese community in Bristol and also in Africa.  That's why I got into
the media industry ……to make a real difference, and this is exactly what
we have done at BCfm and I am proud to have been just a little part of
that".

Station Manager, Phil Gibbons said "This is a great example of how
Community radio can bring so much to people's lives. Mohammed and
Mohammed have been presenting this show since BCfm started last March,
and it is one of many shows in which the presenters broadcast in their
own language on the station. BCfm 93.2fm is all about giving communities
a voice in Bristol and if a show like this can achieve a positive
outcome and puts Bristol on the international map, then long may it last"

To hear the BBc interview, go to www.bbc.co.uk/bristol and listen again
to BCfm Sunday