[cma-l] Playout software

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Dec 5 14:35:34 GMT 2008

Hi Trevor

I always advise that people try out some free systems before taking
the plunge.  You can spend from zero to tens of thousands of pounds on
a radio playout system but best to get a feel of what you need one for
- what features are particulalry useful and so on - before taking the
plunge.  However if you are already using Zara then you will already
have a good idea of what works and what does not work for you.

Regarding mAirlist, the CMA has three instructional videos - courtesy
of Charlie Davy: http://www.charliedavy.co.uk/ - posted online here at
Getmedia on Scheduling, Tagging and Configuration:

http://www.getmedia.org.uk/

The CMA does not endorse any one commercial playout system but the
following proprietary platforms, in alphabetical order, appear to be
some of the most popular applications used by community radio stations
(errors and omissions excepted):

Clyde Broadcast - http://www.clydebroadcast.com/
ENCO DAD - http://www.enco.com/
Jazler - http://www.jazler.com/
Myriad - http://www.psquared.net/
RCS - http://www.rcsuk.com/
Simian - http://www.bsiusa.com/

There are a number of open source playout systems available but few
stations, to my knowledge, have had much success with installing and
using them - some examples to try are:

Campcaster - http://www.campware.org/
Radio Warwick DPS - http://www.radio.warwick.ac.uk/software/dps.htm
Rivendell - http://www.radiorivendell.com/